25 - The Co-op

After the World War Two bombing of the Co-op Main Building in Castle Street, two Co-op departments moved to Church Road. They relocated to a relatively new, three-storey block of shops. This was next to the entrance of the Globe Cinema, near Jane Street and directly opposite Russell Picture Town Church. No's 21 and 23 became a Co-op tailors shop selling coats, suits, dresses, underwear and children's clothes, plus toys at Christmas. The next shop, No. 25, was devoted to shoes and boots.

From humble beginnings the Co-operative movement flourished offering an increasingly wide range of services. But the Co-op was more than just a chain of shops; there was the ethical, community and educational angle to the Co-operative movement. It offered loyal customers a 'cradle to grave approach'. Moreover many employees also liked working for the Co-op.

The Co-op vacated 21, 23 and 25 in the early 1960s. No.23 became Bernice Ladies Hairdresser, while Miss Edith Jones used No.25. This whole section of Church Road between Jane Street and Russell Town Avenue became a car showroom (City Motors) after the demolition of the Globe and associated buildings in 1974.

Right: Doreen Sheeley about to enter Russell Town Congregational Church with her Father Bill, before her marriage to Ron Parsons, June 1967. In the background can be seen Nos. 21 and 23 Church Road, adjacent to the Globe cinema. These two shops had been the Co-op tailoring department.

Originally Wainbrook Place, the Globe cinema opened in March 1914;
by 1975 the site was occupied by City Motors.

<-- Previous Page       Next Page -->