In the 1950s a rather grand name for another small, corner shop. This one was located on the corner of Brook Street, on the opposite side from the Redfield public house. A grocers shop had been trading at this location in the Edwardian period; In 1910 Mrs Ellen Jones is listed as the shopkeeper. During the early part of the 20th Century, before supermarkets, 'the grocer' was at the heart of shopping areas like Church Road.
Although generally dark and poorly lit by todays standards, traditional grocers crammed in a wide range of products in a relatively small space. Traditional lines increasingly jostled for space with the new packaged grocery products that emerged after 1945. The proprietors of these corner shops did their best to keep up with the times and to stock as wide a range of popular brands as possible.
Then there was of course the social angle. This was the kind of place where mums would have shopped in the 1940s and '50s and provided an opportunity for a leisurely gossip over the ham counter. Moreover for many youngsters of the time, being sent 'on errands' to the local corner shop was all part of the weekly routine "Here's the list, here's the money, don't lose it!"
In the 1950s William Jones was the proprietor at this shop. Like similar grocers dotted around Redfield, Mr. Jones had his band of loyal customers to whom the shop was a familiar part of their lives. It's very unlikely however that the locals called this shop by its full name!
This grocery shop seems to have bowed out in the early to mid 1960s before the arrival of the Church Road Tesco. 115 Church Road itself no longer exists. In the 1970s it was pulled down and replaced by a car park plus extra wide pavement for the use of the Co-operative Funeral Services.